A moist and delicious Strawberry Milkshake Poke Cake made with melted ice cream topped with a layer of ice cream pudding and whip cream, make this a delicious combination of cake and ice cream all in one.
If you have not heard of a poke cake, it’s simply a baked cake with holes poked in the top using the end of a wooden spoon, so that you can pour pudding in the holes.
For this recipe you will use melted ice cream in the cake batter instead of milk.
For the pudding, you will also use melted ice cream instead of milk.
I used a boxed strawberry cake mix, strawberry ice cream (be sure to use a high quality brand ice cream) and a box of instant vanilla pudding mix.
Once the cake is done, you will poke holes in the top of the cake using the end of a wooden spoon.
Then pour your pudding mixture on top of the cake making sure the pudding gets down into the holes.
Use the flat part of a spoon to press the pudding into the holes.
Top with Cool Whip. There’s 1/4 cup of melted strawberry ice cream in the Cool Whip for additional Strawberry flavor.
You can freeze the cake for about 30 minutes before serving if you wish.
- Strawberry cake mix
- 3 Eggs
- ⅓ Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Cup melted Strawberry Ice Cream - Use a high quality name brand!
- (If more liquid is needed, add a little water until it is the consistency of cake batter. Each cake mix is different so you may or may not need to add any more liquid)
- 1 Small box vanilla instant pudding
- 2 Cups melted Strawberry Ice Cream
- Cool Whip
- ¼ c. Melted Strawberry Ice Cream
- Prepare cake batter by adding in eggs, vegetable oil, and melted ice cream. To melt the ice cream put a heaping scoop in a bowl and microwave it for about 5 seconds, then in 5 second intervals until it is melted without scorching it.
- Bake cake a little less time according to cooking time on box, depending on the size of your pan. If the box says to bake your cake 30 minutes, start checking your cake 10 minutes before. If you bake it too long it will be too dry.
- Let cake cool when done, then poke holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon.
- To make the pudding, put one box of vanilla instant pudding in a blender. Add 2 cups of melted Strawberry ice cream. Blend about 5 minutes until thick and well blended.
- Pour over cooled cake pushing pudding into the holes with the flat part of a spoon. Make sure you get the pudding in all of the holes.
- Layer Cool Whip over pudding mixture. Set in refrigerator for 2 hours or freeze before serving. Serve cold.