This is a fun dessert to make and serve! These hot fudge sundae cupcakes are like having an ice cream cake in a cupcake. It’s a cupcake filled with hot fudge, layered with ice cream, topped off with a brownie truffle. It’s got all the delicious flavors of ice cream, cake, brownies, and hot fudge.
My sweet daughter knows I am addicted to all things Michael’s, Joann’s, Wilton, and Hobby Lobby so for Christmas she gave me a gift card to Michael’s. I stocked up on more Wilton supplies. I bought these cute Wilton cupcake liners, they are lined with foil and larger than regular sized cupcake liners, so that makes them perfect for holding ice cream and a truffle.
I’d love for you to *PIN IT*! Click on the photo above.
For the ice cream I used a WILTON OPEN STAR TIP 1M. To fill the cupcakes with hot fudge I used a WILTON TIP #230. It’s long so that you can stick it down into a cupcake and fill it. For a tutorial on how to use a pastry bag with these tips check out my post How To Assemble A Pastry Bag. I love using these tips, they make the cupcakes look like you spent all day decorating them, when actually it only takes 5 minutes. It’s all in the tips!
For the brownie truffles I baked a regular boxed brownie mix, rolled some up in a ball and dipped them in wilton candy melts or you can use candiquik. I bought a set of Wilton Candy Melt Dipping Tools that I use for dipping truffles. It makes it a lot easier for dipping and dripping off excess chocolate.
For the drizzle I fill a small plastic baggie with a small amount of melted candy and cut off the very tip of one corner of the baggie. It works perfect!
- 1 box of your favorite cake mix
- Ice cream of your choice
- Smuckers 11.75 oz Hot fudge topping. Keep cooled or at room temp. (Do not heat up)
- Cherries and Cool Whip, optional
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix
- Wilton candy melts or Candiquik
- Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mix as directed. Pour into cupcake liners until about 3/4 full. Bake until golden brown. Test with a toothpick. Set aside to let cool completely.
- Prepare brownie mix as directed. Bake until done. Set aside to let cool completely.
- When cupcakes have completely cooled, fill them with hot fudge using a pastry bag and Wilton tip #230. Hot fudge should be cooled or room temp, don't heat it up.
- Set cupcakes aside after you have filled them.
- When brownies are cooled scoop about 2 teaspoon fulls into your hand and roll in balls. Place in freezer for 15 minutes to set.
- Melt your candy in a saucepan, double boiler, or a fondue set (that's what I use). When candy is melted, dip brownie balls into candy coating them thoroughly. Scoop them out with a spoon and set them on wax paper to cool.
- Put a couple of tablespoons of melted candy into a plastic baggie and cut the very tip of the baggie. Drizzle over candy coated brownies. Set aside.
- Using an ice cream scoop or pastry bag, top your cupcakes with ice cream. Then top with a brownie truffle and a cherry.
See my tips for how to assemble a pastry bag.
For melting candy I used a small fondue. It works great!
To fill the cupcakes I used a pastry bag and a Wilton Round Tip #230.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 3g