A fun and delicious Valentine’s Candy Cake to match your Valentine decor! It will make a beautiful addition to your table setting. This simple cake is soft and bursting with delicious lemon flavor with a sweet vanilla cream cheese topping.
For this cake you’re going to make two cakes. You’ll have so much fun baking them. It’s super easy and so pretty.
Photo’s to show you how to make the heart cake and the recipe are at the end of the post.
The lemon cake is made with a delicious lemon pie filling added right into the cake batter….it’s bursting with lemon flavor and makes it very moist.
For the heart shaped cake you will use a white cake mix and add AmeriColor food coloring-Fuchsia Pink. If you don’t have that brand you can use regular Red food coloring. Start out by adding a small amount and continue adding in the food coloring until you have reached your desired color.
I’ve started collecting holiday spatulas, they are so fun to decorate my kitchen with.
For the blue icing I added a few drops of regular blue food coloring until I reached my desired color.
Here’s the easy tutorial!
STEP 1: Select your cookie cutter. The one I used is 2 inches from top to bottom. I found a set of them at the Dollar Store.
STEP 2: Bake the pink cake in a 13×9 cake pan. You want to use this size pan so when you cut out the hearts the cake won’t be too thick. Once it’s done and cooled, take it out of the pan and place it on the counter on top of parchment paper. You may need to spray your cookie cutter with oil so the cake won’t stick to it!
STEP 3: Cut out the hearts with your cookie cutter.
STEP 4: Line a loaf pan with foil and spray with cooking oil. (lightly)
STEP 5: Line up the hearts so they are snug. If they are not snug they will fall to one side.
STEP 6: Pour the lemon cake batter down both sides first. (unless you spill like I did!) This keeps the hearts from getting top heavy so they don’t fall over.
STEP 7: Pour the remaining cake batter on top. Bake as directed below. When the cake is done and cooled, top with icing. Let it set a couple of hours in the refrigerator to dry and harden. Then lift it out of the loaf pan by the foil. Remove the foil, slice and serve.
- 1 Box Pillsbury Lemon cake mix.
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Can 15-3/4 oz. Lemon pie filling
- 1 Box Pillsbury white cake mix (without pudding in the mix)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup whole milk
- ½ Cup butter, unsalted preferably
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
- ½ Cup butter, softened
- 2 Cup confectioner's sugar
- 1-1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine cake mix, milk and eggs in large bowl. Beat well. Fold in butter and vanilla extract. Mix well. Add food coloring until you have reached your desired color. Pour in a 13x9 baking dish. Bake 20-30 minutes until done. Test with a toothpick.
- Combine cake mix and eggs in large bowl. Beat well. Fold in pie filling. Pour over hearts as directed. Bake at 350 until done. About 40 minutes.
- In a bowl beat cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Add blue food coloring to reach your desired color. Spread over cake.