No tricks, just treats with these Bat Velvet Oreo Cookies! They are made with a red velvet cake mix dyed black and an orange Oreo cream filling. They make a perfect Halloween treat!
These little Oreo bat-velvet cookies are really fun to make. I think kids will love them. Although, my baby is grown and gone…she is expecting, so I’m getting in some practice now before the baby gets here.
I used a red velvet cake mix and added black food coloring.
I know typically, when cutting out cookies you roll out the dough, cut, and bake.
But, who’s typical around here? Not me!
With these cookies, I rolled, baked, then cut.
Because I hate my cookie dough sticking to the cookie cutters, and you can’t use a lot of flour for these guys because you don’t want your bats to look like they got caught in a snow storm!
Then I played with pretty icing. I piped the icing because it’s pretty.
Then added my favorite food coloring AmeriColor Soft Gel Paste Orange.
If you don’t have that brand on hand, that is ok. You can use a gel food coloring from Wal-mart or most grocery stores.
There’s a cake supply store right down the street from me, it’s always so fun to visit that place. They have AmeriColor gel in every color and I am stocking up on every single one of them, because that’s what we food bloggers do, right?
They also have extracts in every flavor you can imagine….got to stock up on all those too!
So get your red velvet cake mix ready for these Bat-Velvet Oreo cookies! Even if you don’t have kids, make some just because they are so good, pretty and so you can stare at them all day!
Do you ever do that? Have you ever made a dessert that was so pretty you just wanted to stare at it? Sometimes, when I take photo’s of my desserts…..I will sit and stare at it for weeks!
- 1 Red Velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shortening
- black food coloring
- If you're making these for a large group you will want to double the recipe.
- ½ cup vegetable shortening (not butter)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp hot water
- orange food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350
- In medium size bowl combine cake mix, eggs, and shortening. Don't make cake as directed on the box. These are the only ingredients you will add. The mix will be thick like cookie dough, just the way you want it! If needed, you may add a little more shortening, but you want it thick like cookie dough. Mix well then add in black food coloring.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Set one half aside and roll out the other half on parchment paper or foil. Place rolled out dough on a cookie sheet and bake about 10 minutes. Right when the dough comes out of the over cut out your cookies. Don't wait until the dough had cooled, because then it will be hard and you won't be able to cut out the cookies. Discard excess dough. Do the same thing to the other half of dough.
- Beat together the vegetable shortening, vanilla, powdered sugar, sugar, and hot water until smooth. Add in orange food color. Mix well.
- Apply to one cookie and top with another cookie. Store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.