HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER BUTTERMILK CUPCAKES
These cupcakes are like a breakfast in a dessert made with buttermilk, an apple butter filling and topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting.
You are going to love these cupcakes! They make a perfect cupcake for breakfast or dessert for those days you wake up craving something sweet. That’s most days for me.
I made these cupcakes with buttermilk because that goes perfect with apple butter when you’re making dessert.
Don’t you think?
I cut out the center of the cupcakes and filled them with an apple butter filling.
Have it for breakfast or dessert……or both.
Put a little dab of apple butter on top of the frosting for a gorgeous cupcake.
Go ahead. Indulge and eat them all.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups Swans Down cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1-13 oz. jar apple butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-8oz. pkg. cream cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in vanilla. Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Test with a toothpick inserted into the center of cupcake if it comes out clean they are done.
- Let cupcakes cool when removed from oven.
- While the cupcakes are in the oven prepare the apple butter filling.
- In a large saucepan whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and melted butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 160 degrees. Stir in apple butter. Remove from heat and let cool.
- After cupcakes have cooled used a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out the center of the cupcakes, enough to fill about 1 teaspoon of filling. Spoon 1 teaspoon of apple butter filling into the cupcakes. Top with frosting. Add a dollop of apple butter to top of cupcake and swirl.