Best Homemade Strawberry Cake with Buttermilk and Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
A light and sweet Homemade Strawberry Cake with Buttermilk is bursting with delicious strawberry flavor made with strawberry gelatin and fresh strawberry’s, topped with a strawberry cream cheese icing. This buttermilk strawberry cake is a layer cake and made from scratch.
You are going to love this buttermilk strawberry cake! It taste like one of those cakes only your grandma makes.
I combined strawberry gelatin and buttermilk for a sweet, tangy, strawberry flavor. This gives it that special homemade taste that makes this cake different from other strawberry cakes.
What Size Cake Pan Do I Use For This Buttermilk Strawberry Cake?
For this cake you will use 2-9×9 round cake pans. If you make this into a loaf, you will have extra batter left over. You can always make cupcakes with the leftover batter!
Why Use Buttermilk In A Buttermilk Strawberry Cake?
Buttermilk gives cakes a subtle tang flavor. Buttermilk has more acid then regular milk. When buttermilk comes in contact with baking soda, it produces carbon dioxide and lightens the dough, which adds a soft, rich, creamy quality to your cake or pancakes.
What Is Buttermilk
Buttermilk is what’s left from churning butter. It’s low fat and ferments into a think cream.
What Is The Difference Between Buttermilk and Milk
To make buttermilk, the fat is taken out of the milk to make butter. Buttermilk is lower in calories and fat and high in calcium, vitamin B12 and potassium compared to regular milk. One cup of buttermilk is 99 calories compared to regular milk that is 157 calories per cup.
Can You Use Buttermilk Instead of Milk
You can replace milk called for in a recipe with buttermilk, but you will need to change the baking soda and baking power amounts.
1 cup buttermilk = 2 teaspoons less baking powder and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
For this buttermilk strawberry cake, you will not need to make any adjustments to the recipe!
What Can You Make With Buttermilk
Buttermilk can be added to cakes, pancakes, biscuits, breads. Buttermilk tenderizes gluten, giving your breads and cakes a softer texture and more body. It also helps quick breads rise.
I completed the strawberry cake with a delicious strawberry cream cheese icing. If you want to make cupcakes with this batter, see my post on how to assemble a pastry bag and tips on using tips.
How To Frost A Cake Video
How To Make A Homemade Buttermilk Strawberry Cake Layered Cake and From Scratch
Buttermilk Strawberry Cake
- 1 (18.25 oz) box white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
- 1 (15 oz) package thawed and pureed, plus 1/4 cup puree for frosting, frozen strawberries in syrup
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 (8 oz) package softened cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 7 cups confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin.
- Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Mix until smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Leave in cake pans for 10 minutes to cool.
- While the cake is baking, combine butter and cream cheese. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add in 1/4 cup of strawberry puree and strawberry extract. Save the remaining puree for ice cream toppings, smoothies, or other treats!
- Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake.
! Use 2 9x9 cake pans. If using a loaf pan you will have extra batter left over! You can always make a loaf + cupcakes!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1481Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 705mgCarbohydrates: 271gFiber: 2gSugar: 236gProtein: 11g