Banana Cake Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake
A moist banana cake poke cake topped with a smooth and creamy chocolate pudding….the perfect comfort food combinations we love to eat!
What more could you ask for in a cake, right? Banana and chocolate seems to be the best 2 combos everyone loves!
It’s a boxed cake mix, because sometimes we are just short on time, right? But it’s a very delicious doctored boxed cake that taste like homemade. Promise! (18 Tips How To Doctor A Boxed Cake Mix To Taste Like Homemade)
When you use a moist cake mix it truly does come out moist.
I added 4 bananas, I love a strong banana flavor, but feel free to use only 3 bananas.
Make sure the bananas are ripened and mashed. I store over ripe bananas in my freezer and set them out to thaw when they are needed. They turn black, but these are the best kind of bananas to use in breads and cakes. You get the most banana flavor from over ripe bananas.
What’s a poke cake, you ask? We will get to making the pudding in a sec. Some of you already know, but I had never heard of a poke cake until I started posting recipes.
There’s always pudding involved with a poke cake. Using the round end of a wooden spoon poke holes in the cake after it has baked and cooled. Then pour delicious pudding on top of the cake pressing the pudding down into the holes with the back of a spoon.
For the pudding I used cook & serve, because I think it taste more homemade when you cook it on the stove. It takes only 5 minutes and you can cook it while the cake is baking.
You can also use instant pudding if you wish. This takes about 2 minutes to prepare. I use a blender for making instant pudding, you can also use a hand mixer. Letting the pudding sit for 5 minutes after you have mixed it is the key to getting it thick.
- 1 Betty Crocker super moist golden vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3-4 mashed, ripened bananas
- 1-5 oz. Jell-O Pudding & Pie Filling, Chocolate (cook and serve)
- 3 cups milk
INSTANT pudding version:
- 1-5.0 oz box Jell-O Chocolate Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
- 3 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 13×9 cake pan with cooking spray or flour, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine cake mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil. Beat until well blended, add in ripe bananas.
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top and toothpick inserted come out clean.
- Prepare instructions on the box.
- When cake has cooled use the end of a wooden spoon and poke holes in top of cake with the back of the spoon. Pour pudding on top of cake pressing the pudding into the holes with the back of a spoon. Smooth out top of cake.
Optional: Top with cool whip.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 servings Serving Size: Serves 16
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 9g