HEALTHY GREEK YOGURT PEACH POUND CAKE
A healthier version of pound cake made with peach yogurt and healthier ingredients such as coconut oil, yogurt, peaches, and eggs.
Maybe you could call this guilt-free pound cake? The secret to the perfectly balanced peach flavor is peach Greek yogurt. It gives it a nice, light, yet very delicious flavor.
With this cake you have the option of adding 1/2 cup of diced peaches if you’d like…..or not. It’s delicious and perfect without it and will be delicious and perfect with them. Just saying if you don’t have peaches around the house there’s no need to run out and by peaches just for the recipe. But if you don’t have peach yogurt then you will need to run out and buy peach yogurt.
I tried to make it a little more healthier by using coconut oil.
In most of my recipes I will either use coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil for a more healthy alternative and to make it a little more guilt-free. That means more for me!
With Summer right around the corner I thought peach desserts would be perfect for the summertime. They make great dessert dishes for pot lucks and keep everyone coming back for seconds.
So, you can easily find peach yogurt on the shelves. You will need two small containers. My favorite brand is Chobani®, I stock up on them because they are really good with my Homemade Granola Bowl, but any brand of yogurt will work! For this recipe don’t use the kind that has the fruit on the bottom. You want all the flavor of peach for this cake, so just use regular flavored peach yogurt. Their containers are 5.3 oz. and you will need two to get one cup.
Not only does the yogurt make it more healthy, it makes is moist and soft. Be sure when you’re baking it not to over cook it. You don’t want it to be dry. Start out by cooking it 45 minutes, if it’s not done cook it 5 more minutes. Each oven is a little different so you may even need to cook it 55 minutes, depending on how big your loaf pan is.
For the icing I used powdered sugar and a few tablespoons of milk. It gives the peach flavor a nice sweetness.
- 1 cup peach Greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil OR olive oil
- ½ cup diced peaches, optional
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Gently fold in the oil and diced peaches if you are using them.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes until golden brown. Test by inserted a toothpick in the center, it it comes out clean it is done. Cool for 15 minutes then remove from pan.
- Combine confectioners’ sugar and 3 tablespoons of milk. Drizzle over cooled cake.