BUTTERMILK STRAWBERRY CAKE
A light and sweet Buttermilk Strawberry Cake bursting with delicious strawberry flavor made with strawberry gelatin and fresh strawberry’s, topped with a strawberry cream cheese icing.
You are going to looooove this strawberry cake. There’s strawberry cake and then there’s STRAWBERRY CAKE!
Want to know the secret ingredients that makes it taste like it’s a grandmas favorite?
Whole buttermilk and strawberry gelatin will keep bringing them back for seconds.
It’s moist and bursting with strawberry flavor.
It’s my new favorite cake. I bake it for dinner parties and it’s always a big hit.
Yummm! It’s topped with a delicious strawberry cream cheese icing that makes it over the top delicious.
The recipe calls for self-rising flour. If you were like me and didn’t have any no need to go out and buy some. I’ve got you covered! Just go to my recipe for Self-Rising Flour and make your own.
So make it right away….you will be glad you did!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1-3oz. box strawberry gelatin
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-8oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 pounds confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- NOTE: The icing recipe makes 5 cups, which is enough for a cake. Half the recipe for loaf bread or bundt cake.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray loaf pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside. I used a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and gelatin with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour to butter mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Add strawberries and vanilla. Pour into pan.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until wooden toothpick inserted in center come our clean. Let cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan. Let cool completely before topping with frosting.
- While cake is baking prepare frosting. In a food processor pulse strawberries until smooth. If you do not have a food processor finely chop strawberries.
- In a large bowl beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add confectioners sugar, vanilla, salt and half remaining strawberry mixture. Gradually beat in enough remaining strawberry mixture until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.