10 Cleaning Tips by a Professional Housekeeper + Free Printable
I own my own cleaning business and use these time saving tips everyday. Not only do they save me time but they save me $$$ and my customers think I spent all day cleaning.
I don’t dread it when I grab a scrub brush, because these tips turned hard jobs into easy ones!
- Easily bring the shine back into your furniture by putting a small amount of Baby Oil on a clean dry rag. Wipe down furniture and see it shine!
- Dust the ceiling fan blades with a broom. It makes it easy to reach without using a ladder and the sharp blades from the broom easily scrape off the dust from the edges of the blades. The dust will fall to the floor and after you have cleaned the entire room just vacuum up the dust!
- To remove water spot rings in your toilet use a product called“The Works” it works instantly! Just put a small amount into the toilet on the water spots and watch them disappear instantly! You can find it at Wal-Mart, Dollar General, Sams Club and I’ve even seen it at The Dollar Store.
- To remove water spots from shower glass doors us a product called Lime Away or The Works (above). Pour some on a clean dry rag and wipe the door and you can also pour some into a water bottle and spray it on, rinse with water afterwards. Be careful, the fumes are strong! Dry glass door with a dry towel or paper towels.
- Make toilets spotless by using a scrub brush. Use a scrub brush on the outside of the toilet, behind the lid where the screws latch, and at the base of the toilet. This way your hands never have to touch a dirty rag or a dirty toilet!
- To easily remove bathtub rings use Scrubbing Bubbles, spray it on and let set about 5 minutes, then go around the rings with a scrub brush and watch the dirt come off instantly. Scrubbing Bubbles does all of the “scrubbing” for you. Use the brush to loosen it from the bathtub and rinse. For more stubborn stains, scrub with Comet or Comet with bleach.
- To remove soap scum from inside the shower use a heavy duty Grease Remover product that is made for kitchen cleaning. works great for the shower, too!
- To prevent soap scum build up in the shower, spay it with furniture polish.
- To get a sparkling stainless steel sink, use Comet and a scrub brush. Sprinkle Comet in the sink, scrub the sink with a scrub brush, then rinse and wipe the sink with a clean, dry towel. Your sink will sparkle and shine! You can also polsih the faucet with comet too.
- If you have hard water build up around the faucet, pour a small amount of The Works on the water spots, use a scrub brush to remove, in seconds it will look like brand new!
- Stainless Steel appliances can look brand new by wiping them with a dab of baby oil on a clean, dry rag! Clean them first with water to get rid of any dirt and food particles, then use a clean, dry rag with baby oil to shine it up! Works instantly and the results are amazing!
- Try cleaning a Granite counter top by pouring 1/2 water and 1/2 alcohol into a spray bottle. Spray on counter tops then wipe with off with a clean dry rag. You will notice an instant shine and it also disinfects the counter tops, too! This tip was passed on to me by a company who installs granite.
- The best way to completely remove animal hair on hardwood or tile floors, is to first sweep the floors with a broom, then vacuum the floor to pick up the remainder. Your floors will look spotless!
- To dust blinds use a micro-fiber feather duster or a swifter duster.
Overall Cleaning Tips
- The best way to clean a room is to start at the top and work your way down. Clean high first such as ceiling fans, blinds, and furniture. Always do the floors last this way you will be sure to get all the dust that falls from the fans, blinds, and furniture.
- When vacuuming or mopping, work your way so that you finish at the door so you don’t leave foot tracks.
I am not compensated for the products in this post, they are only the opinions of my own. See my Disclosure Policy.
Featured At: Love&Laundry